Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Monday, December 8, 2008

Storing Dried Beans 101

I noticed quite a while back that I was having problems with dried beans. I would purchase them at the grocery store bring them home and put them in an airtight glass jar for storage. Then several days or a week later I would look at that glass jar and lo and behold what did I see-Beetles!!! If you have ever seen them then you know the ones I am talking about, they are vivious looking critters. So what I learned was that the beans in the grocery had the eggs in the beans. I threw the beans out and started over, what a waste of money. So how do I prevent these beetle eggs from hatching when I get home? This is what I have done since and have not had a problem since I started doing this. When I get home I placed the beans on a cookie sheet, then place them in the oven at about 200 degrees. I keep them in there for about 15 minutes. This kills all the eggs that you cannot see. Then I take the beans out, allow them to cool, then place in my glass storage jars. I have been doing this for over a year now and have not had anymore problems with beetles.

No comments: