Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Whoa, Where did that Chill Come From?!

Wow, that was fast. Just day before yesterday I was wondering why we were still in the 80s at the end of October. Then, I woke up yesterday to much cooler weather. The sun was hiding all day long, the wind was blowing and we didn't get above 70 for the day. Big drop from the day before. We aren't supposed to hit 70 today either. The goats didn't quite seem to know what to do with themselves yesterday and nobody really has winter coats since we have stayed so warm for so long. They stuck close all day yesterday and by 4 pm were ready to go in the barn. I left the horses stalls open so that they could get in the barn last night and I noticed the pigs had dug their nighttime nests deeper. Yes, pigs make nests to sleep in at night and I can guarantee you my pigs build better nests than the chickens do. I just wish my little sow would build her nest inside her house, but she seems determined to stay outside. Oh, well....you can lead a horse to water or a pig to shelter.... We had a fire going all day yesterday as it was downright chilly in the house without it. It was nice to have and we were glad we spent the other day getting firewood up. Guess I need to get on that a little more if old man winter is really rearing his ugly head. The garden is coming along quite well and I am hoping that it will keep it up. The broccoli and cauliflower plants are still a little small and I am hoping that they will get big enough to stand up to the first frost which is scheduled around Thanksgiving. Today it looks like I will be covering all the windows in the house to keep out the cold air. It is one of those chores that I put off until the last minute, simply because I like light and covering the windows definitely cuts down on that. Some of the windows we only cover with bubble wrap so we do still get in some light, but still the house is much darker in the winter. I suppose since this house has moved so much this past year that I have a lot of caulking to do also. Need to check my supply of caulk and will probably have to get more. I go through about 3 tubes every winter, if I am lucky. This year might be more as we have had some serious movement. Oh! And guess what?! I am so excited. I got my studio cleaned up yesterday. It isn't perfect by any means and I still have a few stack of things to go through, but I can get in there to work. I even set up a painting that I had started working on several years ago to start on again. Maybe I can get it finished. It really helped to have cleaned out the space that I did. I have several more boxes of things to clean out and I have to get the little ones things set up in there for her to work with while I am out there working. I even starting organizing my sewing things so I can start sewing again. I was so excited to have that done. I just love crossing off projects off my list of things to do. Today I am going to try to finish mulching the garden. It looks like I will be expanding the garden next year even more than I had planned. I have had family that is getting hard hit in these economic times and they might need my help. I have always planned for that event, but not really sure I am ready for it. Well, it is getting to be that time of the day so I had better get moving. Blessings from the farm, Kat

No comments: