Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Swimming in Milk

Yep, you read that right and it is a good problem to have. We have so much milk coming in right now and I simply can't keep up with the cheese making, yogurt making, ice cream making etc. I made cheese and ice cream yesterday. Today I am making cheese. I say this is a good problem to have because I have read a couple of reports the past couple of days that milk prices are going to double. Which means that every product made from milk will rise sky high. I guess I might be making butter today too. The good news is that most of the girl's have been bred. All of them over the past week. If they all caught that means babies in February...yippeee!!! However, I have one small problem, if they are all due within the same week. I only have two kidding stalls! Oh well, I will figure it out and I suppose I could set up a temporary or two now that the goat barn has been revised. Now, just to get the last one bred for this fall and get blood tests done to confirm pregnancy. Will hold off breeding Strawberry's babies until this spring when they will be big enough. Food costs are definitely rising and I don't see how some folks are making it. Praying for all who are struggling. Blessings, Kat

2 comments:

living from glory to glory said...

Hi, Okay I just have to ask is it goat"s milk or cow's milk your swimming in? LOL
You would be great to have as a neighbor!!
I watched a video on canning raw milk, but it was pressure canning.
Just finishing a second batch of green chili's.
Blessings Roxy

Kat said...

Goat's milk and thank you very much. I have heard of folks canning milk, but I don't think I want to go there. Goat's milk is especially fragile and I think it would probably taste like store bought goat's milk (YUK). Good job on the chili's.