Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Monday, August 27, 2012

Peanut Harvest is Sad

Well, this was my first year growing peanuts and I have to say that the harvest is sad. I actually had loads of peanuts, but between the squirrels digging them up and then the new peanuts in the ground sprouting into new plants I didn't get much of a harvest. All the stuff I read said to wait until the leaves on the plant turned yellow...mine never did. Everything else I read said to harvest the first of September....I must have planted too early. Oh well, there is always more to learn. That is what I love about this life, it is an ongoing experiment in which you tweak things here and there learn and then tweak some more. We will take the few pitiful peanuts that we have gotten and roast them. I will use some for granola and then maybe a small batch of homemade peanut butter. You know just enough to make us never want store bought peanut butter again! Next year I will be counting days on the calendar to figure out the appropriate time to harvest. I hate pulling up all those sprouted peanuts! Hope your yearly experiment is fairing well and if not that you are learning from it. Blessings, Kat

No comments: