Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Window Quilts Really do Make a Huge difference

Normally, every fall I get out my window blankets and my bubble wrap and my large sheets of plastic and get to covering the windows in this old worn out house that we live in. I then spend days bubble wrapping, hanging, etc. It is a lot of effort to putting up the window coverings in a house with a lot of windows. Our bedroom alone has 9 large windows. I didn't feel good this past year and just didn't have a lot of energy. I got a few windows covered and then gave out. I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I guess I was wrong. Our heating bill is astronomical. I mentioned the 9 windows in our bedroom. They leak like sieves. You can feel the cold air blowing in. The propane heat doesn't get all the way back to our room. Most years it is no big deal because we have an electric blanket and we like the room cold anyway. But this year it has been frigid because the windows didn't get covered and the air blows in all night, no matter how tight you think those windows are shut. They just are old, beyond old...ancient. So we have been running a small electric heater set on low when the temps outside are really cold. Well, I discovered in my search for why our power useage has gone up so badly that those window covering really do make a difference. We thought it could be the water heater. So last night at 9:30 pm, I shut off the breaker to the water heater and went to bed. The little electric heater was running in our room. This morning at 6:15 am we had used 160kw overnight. The only thing different was that the water heater was off and that electric heater was on. So anytime we use that heater we use 160kw a night. That is a lot of power over the course of a month, when over half the nights are cold enough to need it. Last year we rarely used it because the windows were covered. This year we have used it a lot because of lack of covering. This past month and the month before are our coldest months so our power bill jumped dramatically. I did it to myself and I will never not put up my winter window coverings again. Spring please hurry, we are going broke trying to keep warm. Blessings, Kat

No comments: