Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 14, 2013

What More are We Supposed to Do?

So they are taking more from our paychecks now. Insurance is up and covers less. Those that receive federal checks at least get a cost of living increase, but we haven't had one of those in 4-5 years. My husband works a lot of overtime and boy oh boy when you do they hit you hard with taxes, but many times the overtime allows him to keep his original 40 hour paycheck. So we already support our family on a small budget, we are tight. We grow a huge garden, put up food from the garden, raise livestock with food from the garden and feed us and the dogs with the livestock raised on the food from the garden. We purchase very little outside the farm. We patch and repair anything and everything we can to make do. And we very often do without. We downsized our goat herd and will be doing so again this year. So what more are we supposed to do to make ends meet? Meanwhile those on government entitlement checks drive new cars, get 60.00 hair dos and 60.00 nail jobs. I can't afford a 20.00 hair cut. My car sits in the driveway most days because I can't afford to drive it. We have broken our backs to cut wood to have heat this winter and they get subsidy checks to buy propane with. Really, this is ridiculous. How much more are we to live at a subsistence level while those that do nothing live high on the hog? Don't get me wrong, I like our lifestyle but just once I would like to buy myself a new dress or tell my kids that yes we can go to the movie today or to visit friends today. So many times I have to say no because we are stretching what little we have from the paycheck and daddy needs gas to get to work. I just hope all those living off my dollar and your dollar never come down my driveway looking for something because as far as I am concerned they have gotten all they are going to get from me. I know that may sound un-Christian of me, but if a man/woman doesn't work then they don't eat. And frankly, I have never had much tolerance of leaches. I still don't know what more we can do to cut back or cut out. I guess I will figure it out somehow. Lord help us, because I don't know how much more my body can take. Blessings from the farm, Kat

2 comments:

teekaroo said...

I don't know what else to do. Frankly, I'm scared of what the future holds for us all. I imagine we will eventually skip the money altogether and barter again... or perhaps trade goods and time.

Unknown said...

I can so hear your pain and frustration. Like many American's who work hard to do the "right" thing and end up footing the bill for those who could care less. For them it's a big joke ... suckers!

I am hoping that you are already working with a good CPA - they can be worth their cost in proper deductions alone (I have one that will help in all states and was once upon a time an IRS agent himself).

I also hope that you are using the farm as a full on deduction. And taking EVERY SINGLE mile that you went somewhere for a farm purpose - including when hubs takes eggs in to fellow employees at work. Same with that rare meal out. My guess is you discuss farm stuff. Save the receipt and deduct it from the farm. Make sure you understand how farm income and losses work.
I know you already know, but lean on the One who can take all our concerns and cares. :-)) xoxo!!!