Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Monday, December 10, 2012

Freshen Home Decor the Cheap and Easy Way

So as many of you know I have been de-cluttering the house and trying to freshen things up. My house has become a very stale environment as far as being pleasing to the eye. For most of my life I have leaned toward earthy tones...sage greens, blues and browns(lots of dark antique furniture). I am bored and my house is boring. I have decided I seriously need color in my life. Even my throw pillows in the den were greens and browns. Notice I said were. Well let me tell you what I did. First I raided my collection of fabric and found three prints with some wonderful reds and yellows. I took some bed pillows that were old and we had already changed out ( I was going to make seat cushion for the porch chairs with these, but didn't). I cut the pillows to throw pillow size and made slip covers from the fabric. Why did I make slip covers instead of permanent covers? So I can change them out to suit my mood of course! In an hour I had made from scratch three large throw pillows with covers and made two more covers for smaller pillows. I have several more covers cut out but ran out of time to stitch them. Wow! What a difference a little splash of color makes. Now, I know what I am going to do with those old quilts that can no longer be used as quilts. I am going to make more slip covers so that I can change out some more. This should keep some variety in my life. I have a painting that I started 6 years ago. It really never got past the sketch on canvas stage and I am kind of glad. While I am going to keep the hard elements the same I am changing up the style so to speak and can't wait to get started on it. First to finish de-cluttering the house. Really it takes a while to do this. I really didn't realize how much I had accumulated over the years, it is an astonishing amount. I am working on the studio also so that it doesn't become just storage and unuseable for anything else, but I only devote about 30 minutes to doing so out there when I am out there. However, it is nice to finally have a place to do the things that make me tick. Know what I mean? I still don't know if I will make curtains or not...would love to have some...curtains usually make our allergies pretty bad because of the dust that they collect unless I wash them regularly and then well you have to iron them afterwards and that is time consuming. Been there done that and not sure if I want to go back although they do make a room look more finished than bare windows. I will post a tutorial on how to make the pillow slip covers so that anyone interested can see how I made them. Have a great day! Kat

No comments: