Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Garden Tip of the Day

I am always advising folks just starting out in the garden to start small. Then I realized that I don't give much advise to size of the garden after that. So here it is. Each season and each year you grow more comfortable with gardening and you learn from the things, good and bad, that happened there. Each season expand, just a little bit. Even if it is only one bed or two. It seems as if I am always creating new beds and coming up with new ideas and ways to utilize all that space that I have fenced in. This season we added three more small beds. One I am transplanting fig trees in and plan to keep them trimmed to hedge height. The other one is growing cabbages, radishes and ginger right now, and the other will be growing more cabbages in a few days. We also planted some banana trees in another area of our garden that wasn't much good for anything else. In the spring I have ideas on more expansion. I like being able to expand the garden and the areas can lie dormant or allow other areas to lie dormant or give me more space to grow crops, especially for livestock. It allows me to better rotate crops also. So by expanding little by little you really don't get overwhelmed with things because it isn't one huge project you have just dumped into an already very busy project. Anyway, hope that helps. Blessings, Kat

No comments: