Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I have a thief!

Yep, you read that right...we have a thief. Dakota, our pyrenees, that is. Day before yesterday she decided to take a little detour down to my neighbor's lake behind our house. Apparently, she came upon a group of buzzards cleaning up a beaver carcass. Yep, you guessed it. She stole that carcass right out from under the buzzards and brought it home. What a wonderful new toy she had found! The thing is that the buzzard gang followed her home, so then I had a gang of thugs all over my yard and pasture. They were hopping mad...literally hopping up and down trying to figure out how to get back their meal. Dakota, however, was not concerned. And surprisingly neither were the chickens who continued their scratching and pecking through the pasture right where the buzzards were hopping up and down. The buzzards paid them no mind. I guess fresh chicken is not to their liking. Good thing the girls had all had their dust baths and cleaned themselves up for the day. When I went out there the buzzards flew up to the trees right above us. Unfortunately, I just really didn't want to deal with the beaver carcass laying around my yard for days as Dakota guarded her prize. If I could have thought of a way to return the carcass to the buzzards I would have. Dakota would just steal it back though and bring it back home. They had cleaned it pretty well and there wasn't too much other than bone and skin left to it. I took the carcass and buried it. Dakota pouted and the buzzards eventually left looking for something else to nibble on. Maybe they will keep their food supply far from Dakota. We had the talk about not stealing,but somehow I don't think she listened very well! Blessings from the farm, Kat

No comments: