Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Death and Funerals

My death is something that I don't often think about. Let's face it...it isn't the most pleasant subject. However, on occasion when death comes into a conversation then my own becomes a focus of mine for a bit of time. Both my mother in law and my father knew what they wanted done with their remains. My Dad wanted to be buried in the same cemetary with several generations of his family. We honored those wishes. My mother in law had already planned and paid for her's. She wanted to be cremated and her ashes spread at sea. Those wishes were honored as well. I can't decide. I have read many things that give relatively good evidence that a Christian should not be cremated. However, I don't want to be buried in any cemetary that I can think of. I have family scattered in different cemetaries in different states and cities and there is none of those where I want to be interred. I really think that I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered over the farm that I love. My heart and soul has been tied to the land for so long. It's like that bond was there before my birth. However, I don't want my last thing on this earth to be something displeasing to God. But the thought of being placed in a cemetary that I don't know and have no emotional ties to really bothers me. I know in the end it won't really matter as I don't plan on hanging around to find out where they stick my body, but for some reason right now it does matter. Hopefully the Lord will see fit to lead me to a concrete decision before I kick the bucket. So what do you think or do you even think about it? It isn't the most pleasant of subjects and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for not thinking about it. Anyone, just some morbid musings on my part to start the day! LOL! Blessings, Kat

2 comments:

Lisa Lynn said...

My husband and I have talked about a green burial. I don't like the idea of being pumped full of chemicals to keep my body from returning to the earth, the way God intended. You can find info online if you are interested.

Missy said...

My husband and I were talking about this some last week. I also want to be here on our land. I also wish for my family to handle my body and not send me off for strangers to deal with. Most states allow you to legally bury your own dead. I plan on purchasing the book "Caring For Your Own Dead" by Lisa Carlson. You might check into regulations where you live. I know some states even have regulations about where you can and cannot spread ashes. Lots of food for thought. Thanks for the post. This isn't a subject that is fun to talk about but one that needs to be discussed.