Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Legacy

I got to thinking the other day about all the things that I recall on a daily basis that I have gleaned from family elders over the years. Thinking about that got me to thinking about what I am leaving behind for my children and grandchildren. In other words what legacy am I giving them. I am not talking about material things for those things are temporary and life has a way of taking them away. The legacy I am talking about is what am I giving them that can never go away for as long as they choose to hold on to it. So here are the things that I pray that I am leaving my children with as their legacy.

Faith- I pray everyday that I am teaching and showing my children that God and His abundance is glorious and everlasting. I pray that they understand that His graciousness and courage can get them through any of the trials and tribulations that life brings. I hope that they learn from me that true peace only comes from the love of Jesus Christ.

Love- I pray that I am leaving teaching my children that they are loved and how to love unconditionally. There is such joy in loving someone else, just as there is such joy in being loved. Saying I love you is a big deal in our house and is done on a regular basis. I pray that my girls never forget how much and how deeply I love them.

Tenacity- I pray that my girls learn how to be tenacious. To go after their dreams and not to ever let anyone else tell them they can't do something.

Wisdom- I know much of this comes with age, but the more I think about it..it is age that gives us the clarity to understand the wisdom that came from those before us. I pray that my children gain this clarity to see and understand the wisdom that they are being given.

Skills- I pray that my children always know how to take care of their basic needs. That if time gets tough they can grow a garden and raise some rabbits for meat. I pray that they learn the skills of cooking good wholesome foods and making ends meet. I pray that they learn how to survive and thrive no matter what life throws at them.

Education- I pray that my children never stop in their desire to learn and that they develop a love for knowledge. No matter how old you are or how many years they have been away from formal "education" there is always something to learn. I pray that they understand that sometimes it is fun to learn something just to see if you can.

This is the legacy that I want my children to treasure and hold on to. Material things pass away if they were ever there to begin with. I know in my own family history wealth and land have been had and lost time and again. Many times my ancestors started over with very very little. However, the legacy can't be lost and can't be taken away. It is something that will stay with them as long as they choose to hold it dear. I pray that they do and I pray that I pass it on to them. Have you ever thought about what legacy you are leaving behind? Blessings, Kat

No comments: