I grew up in the Christian church and I also grew up trick or treating each Halloween until I was old enough that it was acceptable anymore. No one ever question whether or not this bit of "fun" should be something that Christians take part in. Several years ago when I started to question many things that the traditional church said was ok, I came across the true story of halloween. I was appalled and disgusted. That first year of my discovery I tried weakly to find ways out of the holiday, but my attempt was to no avail and I caved under the pressure from family and friends. Last year I stood my ground and we did not participate nor will we participate this year. Let's look at the facts of Halloween and then a short video that describes many of them.
1. Halloween was originally Samhain, the time of the year when the veil between the spirit world and this world is thin, allowing the dead to once again walk among us. It is also the time considered by witches to be the most powerful time of year.
2. Villagers would wear "costumes" on All Hallow's Eve because it confused the dead and caused them to leave them alone.
3. As evening approached, Druid priests would carry sickles and celtic crosses and drag a dead slave through the village. They approached each house saying "Trick or treat". The house must give them a girl or woman and if they refused then blood was taken from the dead slave and a hexagram drawn on the house while the druids invoked the "horned hunter of the night" to kill someone in the house. If the house relinquished the "treat" then a jack-o-lantern was placed at the door of the house.
4. The girls given to the Druid priests were later taken into a field raped and murdered and thrown onto bonefires (modern day bonfires) as a sacrifice to their god, the horned hunter of the night.
5. During later times, the villagers would put a carved jack-o-lantern at their door lit with a candle made of human tallow to keep the Druid priests from stopping at their door.
6. The Druids also played games that we are familiar with like bobbing for apples. The apple is sacred to witches and paganists because when you cut it crosswise it reveals a pentagram in the center.
Dressing up in costumes to parade through the streets, demanding treats from each house, jack-o-lanterns, skulls, devils, and pagan rituals....hasn't changed much over time has it.
And then the one thing we hear the most from the Christian community as they bring this abomination into the house of the Lord our God, Jehovah...that's not what it means to me!
However, as Christians we must look further than ourselves and our fleshly desires. We must ask...What does this mean to God?
Let's find out:
Leviticus 19:31 - "Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God."
Isaiah 29:1-16 - God's judgment fell upon Jerusalem because of witchcraft.
Deut. 18:10-14, “There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12“For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord; and because of these detestable things the Lord your God will drive them out before you. 13“You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. 14“For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those who practice witchcraft and to diviners, but as for you, the Lord your God has not allowed you to do so.
2 Kings 21:6, "And he made his son pass through the fire, practiced witchcraft and used divination, and dealt with mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sight of the Lord provoking Him to anger." (see also 2 Chron. 33:6)
Isaiah 47:12-14, “Stand fast now in your spells and in your many sorceries with which you have labored from your youth; Perhaps you will be able to profit, perhaps you may cause trembling. 13You are wearied with your many counsels;
Let now the astrologers, those who prophesy by the stars, those who predict by the new moons, stand up and save you from what will come upon you. 14“Behold, they have become like stubble, fire burns them; they cannot deliver themselves from the power of the flame; there will be no coal to warm by, nor a fire to sit before!"
Lev. 20:6, ‘As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people."
So what we should be asking ourselves as Christians is not how we view what is of this world, but how God views the things of this world and would this particular bit of "fun" be seen as harmless and innocent in His eyes. How would He view us as parents, commissioned to train up a child in the way they should go, training up His children to follow in the ways of darkness instead of light? I don't think He would view it as harmless. As for me and mine, we will bake cookies and sing songs in praise of God that night. Blessings from the farm.