Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tightwad Tip- Coffee Filters

Coffee filters can be expensive, so I made my own. No it isn't a huge expense, but still an expense that I would rather keep in my pocket. So I took a store bought coffee filter and used it as a template. You can use either muslin or linen. I had some linen pieces that were just right for this. You don't want dyed fabric, just plain white or unbleached. Fold the fabric in half and trace the coffee filter onto the fabric leaving about a 1/4 inch extra fabric around the template. Then simple sew around the edges. I used a zig zag stitch. There you have a fabric coffee filter. I made 7 of them in about 15 minutes. After use, just dump the grounds in the compost bucket and rinse the filter with hot water until clean then hang to dry. Simple, easy, no fuss and you have saved a couple dollars each month. You also used up some of those fabric scraps that you have. Blessings, Kat

2 comments:

Chris Riello said...

I made two coffee filters so far and we love them. I thougt my husband would be yucked out by it, but when he heard we wouldn't have to buy any more filters, he was like this is the way to go!!
Chris

Kat said...

Every little bit helps. Hubbies tend to come around pretty quickly when they see the money savings. I know mine certainly does. Blessings, Kat