Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Epiphany on Storing Winter Squash

I grow winter squash like butternut and pumpkin because my husband likes them. Personally, I can't stand them. This has always been an issue because the thought of gagging down that foul tasting squash tend s to prevent me from wanting to cook them. I have always stored my squash in our dining room where it stays relatively cool in the winter and the squash lasts for months. This past year though I decided to can some of the butternut and as it happened I only had pint jars in the house at the time. So I canned the squash in pint jars. My husband asked when I was going to cook him some squash, specifically butternut squash souffle. As I thought about it, I realized that the pint jar was just good enough for 1 individual butternut squash souffle. Why had I not thought of this earlier? Instead of wasting a whole squash by cooking the whole thing and then he being the only one to eat any measurable portion of it, I simply pulled out 1 pint jar and made up an individual souffle. Yippee!!!! I never have to choke it down again and will be happy to keep his belly full of butternut squash and pumpkin. Now, what to do with the spaghetti squash that I don't like either?! So if you don't like something, but others in your family do, think about canning it in pint jars for individual portions. Blessings, Kat

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Can I have your souffle recipe?? We like butternut squash and that sounds delicious!

Disaster Preparedness Emergency Survival Forum said...

Good idea, Kat. Your blog just got its own "topic" at our forum, for The Patriot Movement And New World Order: Homesteading and Homekeeping at Whisper Wind Farm.

We wish that you would comment in your forum. If you want to post the forum's link, here it is Emergency Preparedness And Disaster Survival Forum.

Thank You Kat
Tru Keesey