Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Friday, October 15, 2010

Pie Day at the Fair

Well, Wednesday night was Pie Day at the Fair. I entered two pies, a Mint Kentucky Derby Pie and a Pear Granola Pie. Neither of them won, but apparently the Kentucky Derby Pie was a hit with the other contestants because it disappeared within minutes of the winners announcements. I think that is what makes these competitions so much fun...sampling everyone's hard work and getting ideas for our own home baking. I should have had whipped cream on the pear pie, it would have been better. However, I was out of heavy cream and prefer that as much as possible is homemade, so refuse to use store bought whipped topping. Besides mine is better. Oh well, I have a year to come up with new pie ideas for next year. I am thinking of a grasshopper type pie (can you tell I like mint?!). I found a recipe for zucchini pie that might be interesting to experiment with. I was too chicken to try that for the fair, it really might be yucky. Then what would I have done. Anyway, I took a break last night (Mexican night) and will take another break tonight (Appetizer night). I have a great appetizer idea but really just don't have the energy. Besides, my daughter and I need to start getting our cakes together. Tonight we will get the fillings made for the layers. I am going to be doing the Casserole competition tomorrow along with working on our cakes. Mine is a Dark Fudge cake with Raspberry filling and my daughter is doing a Coconut Lime cake. She has to make the candied lime slices for the decorations and the filling tomorrow and I have to make my filling tomorrow. We will also bake the layers tomorrow also. That way we just have to put them together. I will probably put mine completely together along with decorations (raspberries and chocolate curls) tomorrow and then put it in the freezer. That way I will have more time to help her with hers on Sunday after church. This has been such a fun and exhausting week! Blessings from the farm, Kat

2 comments:

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

It sounded fun, even if you didn't get first prize*wink* Thank you for sharing your "Fair" experience with us, I may just have nerve enough to enter our county fair next summer :o)
Blessings,
Kelle

teekaroo said...

That sounds so fun. We don't have anything like that here.