Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Our Favorite Homemade Cereal

I really don't like to buy cereal from the store. It is really an unhealthy mess of stuff (and that is being nice). So we make our own and since I just finished making some for the next few days, I thought I would post my recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups whole oats
2 cups uncooked wheat berries
1 cup nuts (we use pecans or peanuts)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
a few tablespoons of cooking oil
dried fruit

The first step is to toast the wheat berries. You will need either a small frying pan with a lid or a pot with a lid. Put in a tablespoon or so of oil and let it get hot, then add a few of the wheat berries. They "pop" quickly so I usually shake the pan a lot. They don't pop as much as popcorn but they do fluff and pop around the pan. Be careful not to overcook them. Then I place them on a cookie sheet to cool down. I repeat this process until all the wheat berries are done. It will take several times to cook them all as you don't want more than a thin layer in the pan. Then in a pot place butter, brown sugar, honey, and salt. Bring it to a boil and immediately take it off. Add the uncooked oats and the wheat berries. Then place it on a lightly greased cookie sheet spread thin and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool. Then break up the granola and in a canister mix up the nuts, granola, and dried fruit. This is a great wholesome breakfast with milk or yogurt as well as a snack. My kids love it for all occasions and I feel much better with them snacking on this than on store bought boxed cereal. Blessings, Kat

2 comments:

teekaroo said...

I've been planning to make granola, but I don't have the cereals that I usually put in. Never occurred to me to pop some wheat to put in. Thanks!

Kelly Cook said...

Sounds like a good one to try, we just don't have whole wheat berries yet.