Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Canning Apples and Pears

I don't like my apples and pears to be canned in a heavy syrup. The fruit to me is sweet enough and doesn't need any added sugar. However, using plain water will sap some of the goodness from the fruit and they just don't taste very good if canned in plain water. So, I use apple juice to can both of them. It also gives me a good way to preserve some juice for later. Once we open the jar, then we can drink the juice when the fruit is eaten. I do add a minimal amount of lemon juice to preserve the color of the apples and pears, but it is so minimal you really can't taste it. Trust me on that. So with one canning day I have preserved two items that are important to my family...food and juice. Now any apples or pears that are being canned for pies or tarts are canned in a syrup, but the juice is saved for those to be eaten right from the jar. Enjoy!

No comments: