Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Everything at once!

Wow, I just don't know what to say about the past few days. First the garden, I suppose!. Several days ago I was getting concerned because the rain barrels were running low and it was awfully hot. We really needed some rain, so the Lord blessed us with a good couple of days of rain. On the first day that it started raining one of our goats sent me running to the feed store for straw and to the dollar store for other supplies. Why? Well, she has decided to start going into labor. I say start because her start is about all we have gotten in the past 48 hours. This is my first goat delivery and I must say after having delivered countless horses, horses are much easier. In 20 years of assisting mares, I only had one mare "trick" me. This goat however is driving me insane. All her signs are straight from the book, but apparently she didn't read the book. Yes, I tried reading it to her, but she fell asleep while I was reading. According to much more experienced goat breeders this behavior of does is called the " Doe's Code of Honor" in which they play with their owners and keep them guessing. So while we were told when we bought her to expect a baby in August, we are now expecting in June. The good thing about spending one whole entire night in the barn waiting for a kid is that my two legged kid, Petunia, spent the night out there with me. She and I had a wonderful night talking about all sorts of things. It was a special time that mother and daughter could share without interference from little sisters, daddy's and just everyday life. God sends blessings in every situation and so I send a big heartwarming thank you to our Almighty God and little Coffee. Petunia was a trooper, actually better about staying up all night than I was. I couldn't have done it without her there. I am getting too old and set in my ways, I like my sleep. So we are still on baby watch with the goat, Coffee. Which means that her sister, Tea, won't be too far behind having been exposed to the same billy goat at the same time. No signs in her though so that is good. Now, onto the next thing. While we have been working on the pasture for our little bucks, Buck and Billy. We have been slow, thinking we still had time. Apparently with pregnant goat hormones raging their hormones are beginning to kick in. Buck has grown a right pretty beard, and I caught Billy yesterday experimenting at weeing on his face. For those of you who don't understand this, when a male goat goes into rut they urinate on their face and on their front legs. This is what makes them very stinky. So we must speed up progress on the buck pasture. Now for number three! Last night I went to feed the rabbits and Miss Baby has started pulling fur and making a nest. She did this right before she kindled last time, absolutley no time lapse. I am hoping that she is just doing this early this time because she isn't due until the 17th. We did get the next box in and set up. She was happily ensconced in her hole when I checked on her late last night. So we will see. Hormones are raging at Whisper Wind, has my husband a little nervous that they might invade the house! His new job is going well and the garden is growing great after the two days of rain. Thank you Lord for all of our blessings. Have a great day folks.

No comments: