Some of my readers may not realize yet that I am unabashedly, unashamedly Southron. I am proud of my Southron heritage and ancestry. I do find it interesting these days that the things that my ancestors fought for, are now being fought for around the whole country. Our message is finally being heard, I pray it isn't too late. I would like to clear up some misconceptions that mainstream media and entertainment have put out there.
1.Just because we talk slow doesn't mean we think slow. We actually are quite intelligent down here in the south and have given the world such great thinkers as William Faulkner, Mark Twain,and others.
2. Southern women are neither weak, wimpy, nor shallow. Southern women are strong, but gracious. The women of the south have endured when no other could have. After the war and Sherman's march in which all food supplies were destroyed, the women of the south did not idly sit back and starve. They work hard to find food and simply do what needed to be done. Southern women carry their strength quietly, using it when needed while all the while remaining the gracious lady.
3. Southrons do not hate yankees or persons of color. This makes me so mad that hollywood portrays us as hating yankees or blacks. We are not a people who are prone to hate, period. We judge a person on their character, not on where they come from or what color they are. It is poorness of character and lack of manners (we call this breeding) that we hate.
4. We are Christians. True Southerners are Christians. We make no bones about it and make no apologies either. Christianity is our way of life we simply do not accept any other. Modern Christianity likes to be politically correct and say that all religions have their path to God. Bulldooey!!! Jesus said," I am the way, the truth and the light. No one comes to the Father but through Me." I believe Jesus versus some preacher trying to get more money in his coffers. We Southrons believe Jesus too, it is our way.
5. We are not all married to our cousins, at least not in modern day society anyway!
6. We live our lives by a code of honour. The same code passed down through the ages. We take a person at their word and don't expect it to be broken.
7. We wave and say hello, even to people we don't know. It is polite and hospitable.
8. We have never forgotten our cause and will never forget it. The same cause of our founding fathers, freedom and liberty.The South will rise again.
9.We believe in working had and supporting ourselves and our families. We don't believe in welfare and a free ride.
10. We believe in stopping to smell the roses. There is much enjoyment in life to be had, unless you are too busy rushing by that you miss it.
So there is so much more but that about covers the basics. We are a tough breed of people who can have a lot of fun along the path of life. God bless and take care!