Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Importance of Rotation

When you keep extra food stored for emergencies it is important to rotate food out when you buy more. In other words, don't create an extra emergency food supply and then never touch it. If you do this you run the risk that your emergency food supply is no longer good, especially if it is not food packed for long term. MREs (meal ready to ready) are packed for long storage periods. They can last generations. However, regular grocery store food will go bad eventually. So rotate out your food. I keep my extras in a different place from where I keep my regular food that is used everyday. When my everyday supply begins to get low, then I go shopping to my back up supply. I get what I need from there if I can. Then when I bring the groceries home the replacements go into the backup supply. This ensures that my food is always the freshest obtained and rotated to keep it that way. Rotation is probably one of the most important things that you can do to ensure that if you are in that emergency that you prepared for, your food is in good shape. It would be awful to have to depend on it and it have gone bad from sitting. I like the method of keeping my backup in a seperate place from my everyday because this also keeps the family from going to the backup before they go to the everyday.

No comments: