Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tightwad Tips- Week of February 1

We are trying to get back on track towards our goal in life of living deliberately and not haphazardly. Last year was a nightmare and money just bled out everywhere. So, this year I will try to post a weekly tightwad tip column. Here is the first week's column of what we have done the past week to hold on to our little bit of money.

Groceries-We had a soup night, a veggie night (veggies came out of the freezer), and a breakfast night. We are also making sure that one day is leftover day in which all leftovers are eaten. This can mean an interesting combination for a meal, but everyone is fed and nothing is going to waste. We are also drinking more water during the day and saving tea for mealtimes only.

Household-We had two sets of sheets that had developed rips in them. Grant we haven't bought sheets in years, but the fabric was still actually in very good shape. They just had those annoying tears. I really didn't want to have to buy new sheets this year, as we buy high quality sheets and they tend to be very pricey. So, I have mended both sets this week. They should last at least another year now if the mending holds well. Like I said the overall sheet was in really good shape. Mending the sheets saved me about 200.00. Not bad.

Other- I trimmed Little Britches hair and my hair this week, which saved about 40.00. Also, my car is staying parked as much as possible. Right now I only go somewhere one day a week and do everything I need to do. If there is something I need or my mom needs then my husband will pick it up on his way home from work. I get a gas discount from one of the grocery stores I shop at so that has become my main grocery store. Last month we filled up both cars at the same time and received 25 cents off every gallon of gas. Pretty good savings. When we do this the money saved goes straight into the savings.

So that is about it for this week. Blessings, Kat

No comments: