Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Update on being Wheat Free

We have been wheat free for 2 months now and I must say that it is great. We all feel so much better and I love the fact that finally after all these years I am losing weight. It is slow, because I still have thyroid issues a bit, but I am losing. I have noticed several big changes. I am not thirsty all the time anymore. I think possibly I might have been prediabetic or at least hypoglycemic because I simply could not get enough to drink. Now, I am not thirsty all the time. That really is a big change for me because I never went anywhere or did anything that I didn't have something to drink with me. I would even take a bottle of water to bed because I would wake up in the middle of the night dying of thirst. The second big change is that I sleep better. When I was a child, I could sleep through anything. That changed to the point where I couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours at a time and then I would be up and go back to bed and then get up again...all through the night. Now, I am back to sleeping like a rock. Nothing wakes me up at night anymore and I feel so rested when I wake up in the morning. It used to take me several hours to get motivated to get up and get started on the day. Now, I drink a couple of cups of coffee and within and hour or so I am itching to get busy. I am able to stay focused throughout the day and get my tasks done. So, because of that the house, schoolwork, farmwork are all staying relatively organized. Giving up wheat has made huge changes in my life, changes I never expected. I am reading the Wheat Belly Book now and am even more firm in my stand against not eating wheat anymore. Everybody else in the house is getting there, but they are taking their own time and making their own decisions ( well the little one has no choice). Hubby decided to have some wheat, a lot of wheat, last week and woke up with a "hangover". Said he felt like he had been out drinking all night even though he hadn't had a drop of alcohol...just wheat. Oldest daughter keeps testing, but she says after this last incident at church that she might be done testing. We had a covered dish lunch at church with the usual fare, loads of pasta dishes and rolls and everything else wheat. I fixed a broccoli and cheese cassWerole so that I knew we would have something to eat. Petunia ate a couple of rolls and had a migraine and allergy issues Monday and Tuesday. It amazes me the immediate health effects just from eating wheat. The thing is I know it is the wheat because it happens everytime they have it. If the little one eats wheat she is through the roof hyper and can't sit still or focus on schoolwork or anything else for that matter. She also becomes very irritable and verbally combative with everyone after eating wheat. She is so much more pleasant to be around when she doesn't eat anything with wheat in it. Wheat belly truly has changed our lives for the better. No going back for us. Now how to do this without breaking the food budget. That will be my next post, as our grocery budget hasn't changed much at all. Have a blessed day. Kat

No comments: