Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Friday, September 28, 2012

Where Did the Heat Come From?

Oh my! It is the last week of September and we are hitting 90 today! It was so hot yesterday I almost thought about turning on the AC. We picked up two more pigs yesterday so now we are in the pig business. The sow is pregnant so we really are in the pig business. Today is going to be a busy day. I have to put up the last of the okra, dehydrate a whole bunch of cayenne peppers, put up more banana peppers, work on fence and weed some of the garden. I know I have said this before, but I find if I work on weeds in the garden each day then I keep them under control. We have a large section of the garden that we have not put into use and will be putting up the last part of the fence on one side and then we can turn the pigs in there to graze and till it. There are tons of weeds that we never seem to get rid of over there even with heavy mulch and a hoe so we figure the pigs will do a better job. Not to mention there is loads of free food over there for them. We want to move them around a good bit while the weather is still warm enough and then by the time winter really gets here then we can put them back where they are now so that they have nice warm houses to get in at night. They can winter there and then come spring we can start moving them around again. So far that is my plan and I think this will work. We will see. I think the pigs will really be a great contribution to the health of my soil and pastures. I hope I am not wrong. The horses are terrified of them and are convinced they are monsters just waiting to eat horse meat. We are starting to get the firewood ready for this winter. We have tons of it cut, now we just need to get it split. Next year's firewood is being cut as we work on the fence line which is a slow going process, but coming along nicely. A few more weeks and we might be done with that. Then we can start on another section that has always been a problem. The boon to working on the fence line has been that we have found tons of scrap metal, mostly iron. So we have scrapped it and made a little money to go back into the farm. It amazes me at how much the previous owner just threw out behind the barn and along the fence line, which eventually got buried over the years. There are some big pieces still that we have collected that we will need to cut so that we can haul it off. Right now they are just too long to haul off. We found a turning plow to pull behind the tractor but it is so seized up. Hubby is going to work on it to try and see if he can do something about that, but neither of us are hopeful. What a shame to have wasted such a useful tool by leaving it in the dirt and weather. Well I suppose I had better get to work. So much to do and there are only so many hours in the day. Blessings from the farm, Kat

2 comments:

living from glory to glory said...

Hi Kat, I should be baking pumpkin bread, but I need to just sit for a bit and enjoy my blogging friends inspirations. We also have started working on fire wood.
Pray you have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings, Roxy

Kat said...

From your comments sounds like you have been a bit busy yourself. I fully understand the need to just sit down for a minute or two. Good luck to both of us getting that firewood done. Blessings, Kat