Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's That Time of Year Again.....Christmas

This Christmas for us is going to be really tight on money. I imagine with the state of the economy that it will be that way for many folks across America. So, I thought I would do some blogs about great Christmas gifts that can be made fairly cheaply and will still brighten someone's Christmas day. I have always hated the commercialization of the holiday anyway and always thought that gifts should be more personal. Well, the first thing that our family did several years ago that has saved a bundle is that all of the adults agreed that we would not exchange adult gifts. Meaning, the holiday is for the children. That right there saves a bundle. Of course, the children still give gifts to the adults and I of course help them make their gifts. Usually for the adults in the family we give homemade goodies. My oldest helps me can during the year so any canned jellies, pickles and other goodies are her hard work also. We usually make up a box with some canned goodies, homemade fudge, homemade bread and such. This year my oldest has decided to add some homemade goat cheese (thank goodness my girls are still milking well) and some homemade soap. The littlest one supervises and occasionally stirs and always tastes, so she is a big contributor in the handiwork. So talk to the adults in your family especially extended family and maybe everyone will agree that it is a good time to stop giving adult gifts. I mean really....how many meaningless gifts can someone shove into the guest room closet anyway! Keep an eye out for Holiday on the Cheap posts for all your holiday non-shopping needs. Blessings, Kat

No comments: