Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sewing Day Update #2

Well, another sewing day has come and gone. I don't think I accomplished as much as I wanted because I got a late start due to having rabbit butchering to get done in the morning. However, I did get one winter dress made for my little one, finished a pair of bloomers for her, and used up some scraps making some new potholders which I desperately needed. So all in all I think it was a good day. The dress took a little longer than I anticipated due to some hand sewing that was need to give a finished look to the sleeves. I made the dress out of a turtleneck that my oldest had outgrown. It was too big to be used as a shirt, but by some careful folding along the sleeves to create a cuff and adding a skirt to the bottom it became a great winter dress. When the dress is too small to be worn as a dress some careful stitching removal simply converts it back into a shirt. So I have an outfit for now and part of an outfit for later. One thing I started thinking about while working on this is that I need to have some sewing to do by hand ready to work on in case I want to watch a movie with the kids or my husband and not feel like I am wasting time. It could also be handy to take with me when I know I am going to be sitting and waiting for awhile. It is also a skill that is great to have. Good quality handstitching is so beautiful all in and of itself and is definitely a skill that I would like to be better at. Ladies used to handstitch everything and the quality of the work is simply amazing. I love my sewing machine in that I can get more done in the same amount of time, but I would like to be able to work away from the sewing machine. So I think my goal this week is to gather something to work on by hand and keep it ready to take or move where I am at the time. Maybe by having this ready to go sewing bag, I can accomplish even more than just having the one day a week set for sewing. All in all I think this has been a good week for accomplishing some of the never ending tasks around here. Blessings from the farm, Kat

1 comment:

teekaroo said...

I feel the same way about hand sewing. I hate sitting around, not accomplishing things just because I can't sit at the sewing machine. I just can't really remember how to do it, and I'm not sure what to start on! Definitely something I want to do though. A ready to go bag is a great idea...maybe I could put some mending in there...