Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Observations on Books and Authors

I have always loved to read and really would read pretty much anything to keep from being bored. In fact when I was just a young squirt spending time at my grandfather's farm the only thing to read the the Market Bulletin from the Department of Agriculture and Progressive Farmer. I read both, cover to cover...issue after issue. So with all of this reading that I have done during my lifetime, I certainly do have some favorite authors. Two of these authors have an uncanny knack for telling a whole lot of truth in a work of fiction. First I will tell you who the authors are, Robin Cook and Michael Crighton. Robin Cook is a physician and writes a lot of "fiction" books set in the medical field. Many times the story line of the book is about some new research or drug or procedure. I remember one book of his, I read years ago just when antidepressants were starting to hit popularity. In the book, these researchers developed an antidepressant but couldn't get funding to test it. So they tested it on themselves. At first they felt wonderful, then they started to notice they were changing both physically and behaviorally. However, the drug was addictive and they couldn't stop taking it because it made them feel so good. I won't go through the whole book and each and every thing that happened but in the end the drug changed those that wouldn't stop taking it into reptiles, devoid of emotion and human feeling. Years after reading that book, I had talked to some women who had stopped taking their antidepressants on their own because they stopped feeling emotion. They stopped laughing, crying, getting angry, etc. So was Robin Cook trying to get some truth out using a work of fiction....I think so. Sometimes the only way to get people to see and here the truth is to put it into a work of fiction. Then they might start thinking. I recently read one of Michael Crighton's last books...State of Fear. Awesome book and so well researched. One of the best research jobs I have ever seen in a work of fiction. However, getting back to the book. The book is an expose' on the global warming turned climate change scam. It is mainly centered around an an evironmental group and a multibillionaire, but the parallels to what our government is feeding us currently is not an accident. Maybe Crighton wanted a few more people to wake up to the fleecing we are getting through this charade and the potential fleecing down the road before it is too late. I highly recommend this book. While it is a work of fiction there are tons of footnotes, citing sources that the characters refer to in the book. Crighton clearly did his homework. Sometimes I guess the only way to tell the truth so that people will listen is to present it as a work of fiction. Sad isn't it? What does that say about humanity and our incessant need to be entertained instead of informed? I like authors that get me to think and challenge myself. If I hadn't already seen the scam behind "global warming" I certainly would be taking a hard look at that theory after reading the book. So just a few observations about books, authors, and truth hidden in fiction. God bless.

No comments: