Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Living without Television....is it possible?

We have been contemplating giving up our satellite service. This decision has really been a struggle for our family. I don't know why it should be such a difficult decision as there is really very little on that we actually want to watch. Usually in the evening it is just something to do when we are tired and have very little energy. This discussion has come up a lot lately in various places. Over on the homesteading today forums I found many many people who did not have tv and many who had not had tv for years. Despite concerns they have survived quite well. Well, this morning as I was reading through several blogs that I followed I found another who is doing quite well without television. This blog post over at SAHMville Blog is worth the read and certainly gave me some encouragement in my struggle to give up the idiot box. So ladies if you have made the plunge also, leave a comment and let us know about it. If you are also struggling with letting this security blanket go, let us know about it. I find sometimes it helps make a decision when we know we aren't the only ones out there. So, I think my husband and I will have to really talk about this and come to a decision quickly before the next bill arrives! God bless.

4 comments:

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Although we do have a TV set, we don't prescribe to any paid programming.

If it were entirely my choice the TV wouldn't be here, but my Dh thinks it's a nice thing to have for entertainment in winter. We don't watch local TV much either, unless something news worthy,but rather use the TV for viewing movies( of our choosing)

It certainly can steal valuable time. I don't like when my family is viewing a movie( even if it is a good movie) and it's like they turn into zombies. I call the TV the Zombie Box!

My Dh gets frustrated with me because I can't sit long enough to enjoy a movie, but the thing is if I was enjoying it I would sit still, but I find myself thinking of all the things that I could be doing instead.

I think it's a topic worth discussing again and again, which we do.*wink*

Chumley Family said...

I just wanted to send you some encouragement. We said goodbye to television two years ago and it is one of the best things we have done for our family. We do watch selected movies, but that's it. It has been an amazing transformation in our family. Now, if we are someplace where a television is on, we are blown away by how awful it is. We couldn't fully see it while we still had TV. It took a little while to get used to, but it was worth it! We will never go back!

Blessings,
Deborah C.

Kat said...

Thanks to you both for the encouragement. I really want to get rid of that stupid thing. It is like an addiction...so hard to give up. God bless and I will keep you all updated.

Kelly Cook said...

I've been married for 3.5 years and we haven't had TV programming at all. We have the TV to watch our own or rented movies on, but that's it. I don't miss it. I don't know when we'd ever actually watch. I used to have a Netflix account when I was single, and watched LOTS of movies, but I don't even think that's worth it now. The year before I got married I had a roommate and we had cable, but she usually had the remote, so I didn't watch much. Prior to that it had been another year or two w/o TV, so it's kind of a way of life for me. I use the internet for my "down time". I'm sure you'll do fine w/o it!