Navigate this Blog

Today's Quote


“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Working on Sunday and the Sabbath

Most Christians consider Sunday the Sabbath and are strict in adhering to that day of rest. Technically though Saturday is the 7th day of the week and should be considered the sabbath. If I remember correctly, the Sabbath was changed by the Catholic Church to Sunday. Some Christians are very strict about observing the Sabbath on a certain day of the week and I think by focusing so much on which day of the week they are missing the point to some extent. The point is to rest, if God can rest from his labors then so can the rest of the world. Yesterday, Saturday we took our day of rest. It was a busy week, my husband is bed/couch ridden at the moment, and I was exhausted. None of us even got out of our pj's yesterday, and leftovers were heated up to eat. So yes, I am working on Sunday because I took my day of rest on Saturday. There are many Christians that just cannot get around working on Sunday either. When I was in the restaurant business I was called to work on Sunday, just as many others are. However, the point of the Sabbath is to rest one day a week. This is good for your health, both physical and mental and I think this is the real point that God was trying to impart to His people when commanding them to keep the Sabbath. I personally don't think it matters which day that you observe the Sabbath as long as you do take that day of rest and reflect on God's blessings and grace. So no, I don't feel guilty for working on Sunday because I rested on Saturday. I do feel bad that we missed church, but my husband needed someone to take care of him and we just could not leave him alone. For those days Pastor John Weaver's Sermons are indeed a blessing. Enjoy the day and may God bless you and keep you!

No comments: