Ingredients for filling:
1 1/2 c. frozen corn/or 1 can drained
2 tbls. butter
1 chopped onion
1 stalk celery chopped fine
1 pound ground beef
1 tbls. minced garlic
2 tbls. flour
1 cup beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for topping:
6 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
2 tsp. salt
5 tbls. butter
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1. cook the corn and set aside
2. Boil the potatoes until soft and mushy, drain and set aside
3. melt 2 tbls. butter in saucepan and saute the onion and celery for about 5 minutes
4. brown the ground beef with the onions and celery, then drain the grease.
5. Put the skillet back on the burner and stir in the garlic and flour. Then stir in the broth, tomatoes, herbs, corn and worcestershire sauce.
6. Simmer for several minutes then add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer into a large greased casserole dish.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
8. Drain potatoes when done and place in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and sour cream, then mash with a hand masher.
9. Switch to an electric mixer and continue mixing while adding the milk until the potatoes have a medium soft consistency. Don't make them too soft. you want them to have some body.
10. Salt and pepper potatoes to taste and spoon them over the meat in the casserole.
11. Sprinkle the cheese on top, then paprika
12. Bake on center rack for about 20 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
Serve with fresh bread and a salad and you are good to go.