Tonight we are having Gumbo. The great thing about Gumbo is that it is a great way to us those little bits of meat that you have leftover. The next best thing about Gumbo is that it can be cooked in the crockpot. Here is a great crockpot Gumbo recipe:
3 tbls. flour
3 tbls. oil
2 cups frozen cut okra
1 large onion chopped
1 stalk celery sliced
1 bell pepper chopped
1 tbls. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 16 0z. can undrained diced tomatoes
3 cups meat of choice (chicken, turkey, ham, smoked sausage, shrimp)*
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice ( I use brown, you can use white)
3 cups water
1. In small skillet combine flour and oil on medium heat and cook til golden brown (about 5 min.) then lower heat to medium and cook until reddish brown (about 10-15 minutes)
2. Place flour and oil mixture (this is called a roux) in 4 qt. crockpot. Stir in all ingredients except shrimp (if you are using), rice and water.
3. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours
4. When ready to serve cook rice in water as directed on package.
5. If you are using raw shrimp add to the gumbo while rice is cooking, mix well. Shrimp needs to cook about 20 minutes in covered crockpot. So time your dinner wisely.
6. Serve gumbo over rice and enjoy
*you can use one meat or any combination of meat that you have handy or wish to use. If using chicken I always cook it first. I usually use chicken left over when I bake a hen so it is cooked. If you are making without using leftovers then I suggest cooking chicken and turkey.